Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mod. 2 Save the trees!

I can't imagine how many thousands of trees we've been salvaging every year just by switching to electronic systems. I don't know how the paper industry is being impacted by the shift to electronic correspondence or e-systems pervading the country but what I know is that such change has brought efficiency into the health care system. Time is of the essence; it has a value and utilizing information systems in the healthcare industry has revolutionized so many vital aspects of caring for a patient that would normally entail so much time to access. Having such information at your fingertips is simply amazing. All of these translate to the bottomline of improved quality of care.

My facility is heading towards utilizing an information system that will help the nurses in nursing documentations and other aspects of care. I realize that switching from the old school of paper-and-pencil system may cause anxiety among staff that are used to the traditional charting but I believe that familiarity with the system will alleviate such initial stress, just like the transformation happening within me as I get more used to online instruction.

'Going green' is the key word and utilizing information systems is definitely helping the planet!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Jenneth,
    Yes, a potential advantage to using technology is that we maybe able to save the world forests and trees. It's always anxiety producing to nurses when they have to switch from paper to electronic charting, but the interesting thing is that once they taste technology majority do not want to ever go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of those nurses who don't want to go back to paper and pencil. I am loving learning to use technology and I plan to be a computer savvy by 2012. I just resigned yesterday from my employer of ten years and now work for a very small home health company. We had EHR at my former employer and that was very nice. This new employer is still paper charting and it's amazing how it affects my efficiency and productivity not to have easily accessible information. The switch to electronic is in the works and I can't wait for it to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No kidding. It's amazing how much money is spent on paper and where does it all go? My father was just recently in the hospital and the doctor ordered home health. The RN that admitted him to their agency used a hand held computerized system to input all his information. The nurse had a little trouble with the technology, but once she gets use to it, the headaches of paper charting are gone. I think a lot of agencies are trying to implement ways to improve and enhance their productivity to eliminate waste and improve cost.
    I think it's wonderful because we live in a time that technology is changing quickly and more precise, especially when its about healthcare.
    I have my headaches, especially with my computer and being in a Distance program, but it has enhanced my knowledge and experience with innovative technology.
    Lauri Morgan

    ReplyDelete